Information Security, Risk and Governance Specialist.
Heavily involved in information security and risk solutions for the last 16 years in the UK, US and throughout Europe.
- Scottish Chairman of the Institute of Information Security Professionals
- President of ISACA Scotland
- Full Member of the IISP (M.Inst.ISP)
- Security mentor and evangelist
- Moderator of the Security and Personal Productivity Stack Exchange sites and Administrator for the Security Stack Exchange Blog
- Contributor to the Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP)
- EC Council Certified Chief Information Security Officer (C|CISO)
- ISACA Certified Information Security Manager (CISM)
ISC2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
was a member of the Standards and Operations Committees for the Council of Registered Ethical Security Testers (CREST) for 2 years, and a CLAS Consultant for 2 years.
Extensive experience in Enterprise Risk and Security, from a deep technical grounding in application, network and platform security, as well as over 10 years working with global banking clients helping them identify, evaluate and mitigate information risks from a business and governance perspective.
Key roles in integration programmes, aligning security policies and business risk appetites across divisions in order to provide pragmatic security solutions.
Has created the security development pathways and managed large scale security programmes, including global attack & penetration engagements, privacy and security assessments, incident response and fraud and forensic investigations.
Core clients have included global and UK banks, government departments as well as organisations in the Energy, Telecomms and other markets.
Acts as a mentor and coach for numerous security professionals in Scotland, providing career guidance as well as promoting a passion for the industry.
Provides subject matter experience at both strategic and technical levels, defining, reviewing and assessing enterprise level information security strategy, policies and standards for clients, incorporating the ISO 27000 series, COBIT, ITIL and other industry recognised baselines.
Presented at the inaugural e-Crime Scotland Summit and presents regularly on aspects of Information Security at various events in the UK, especially on the business implications of security issues.
Published in the Financial Times and other journals.
Scotland, United Kingdom
Member for 8 years
1 profile view
Last seen Feb 19 '13 at 16:42
- Information Security♦ 61.1k 61.1k 1111 gold badges112112 silver badges310310 bronze badges
- Music: Practice & Theory♦ 35k 35k 99 gold badges6060 silver badges138138 bronze badges
- Parenting♦ 26k 26k 77 gold badges5656 silver badges108108 bronze badges
- The Great Outdoors♦ 23.8k 23.8k 44 gold badges5858 silver badges130130 bronze badges
- Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair 18.5k 18.5k 77 gold badges5353 silver badges9797 bronze badges
- View network profile
Top network posts
- 296 How can someone go off-web, and anonymise themselves after a life online?
- 249 Firing mods and forced relicensing: is Stack Exchange still interested in cooperating with the community?
- 198 My 3 year old daughter thinks she is white. Should I tell her she's not?
- 134 How to explain my complicated family background to people that I don't know very well?
- 128 What's to stop someone from 3D print cloning a key?
- 118 Are spiders unable to hurt humans, especially very small spiders?
- 115 Were children safer in the good old days?
- View more network posts →